Not sure what to believe about all this coconut oil hoopla?
The truth is there’s a lot more behind the headlines, and we’re here to help you sort through the science of it all.
Recent reports by the American Heart Association have advised against the use of coconut oil…and if you’re a Sanas patient you know we looooove to enjoy our coconut oil in moderation and as a part of a varied diet.
The good news is, your Costco-sized tub of organic coconut oil is fine! Saturated and polyunsaturated fats like avocado, coconut and olive oil are integral for your health because these oils are:
- Building blocks for all your cells and hormones
- Essential for brain health (memory, focus, and mood)
- Great for healthy and glowing skin and hair
- Moderate blood sugar and decrease cravings that lead to indulging in carbs and sugar
- Supportive for fat burning and weight management
- Important for regulating good cholesterol (HDL) versus bad cholesterol (LDL)
The good news is, cardiovascular risk factors like elevated blood sugar, blood pressure and blood cholesterol lend themselves really well to diet and lifestyle modifications. If you use or have been told you need to use a blood sugar medication like Metformin or blood pressure medication or something to address your cholesterol like a statin drug, be sure to talk to one of your Sanas Naturopathic Doctors to find out what you can do to improve your outcomes and decrease side effects before or while taking these drugs.
Watch the video below and check out our handout for more details about which oils to enjoy and which to avoid!